A too familiar story. It begins with attempting to save the corporation money, by selecting a 3 segment flight from Vancouver to Sacramento, CA. The journey was to take it's turns in Portland, then again in San Franciso - with an perfect destination of Sacramento, and an arrival time of 4:20PM.
I should have known that the day of travel was to be less than ideal, when it snowed 4 inches the day before - and didn't let up all night. By the time that I left for the all too familiar 60min drive

to YVR, I had to clean 6-7 inches of snow from the car - and pray that the car would securely take hold on the driveway underneath... to find ice beneath the tires this morning - would be tragic. In the end, the drive was uneventful - and all went well, until the fabulous Dash-8 had to be de-iced! 1 hour waiting for men dangling from the mechanical arms of trucks, to spray the wings of the plane with some sort of 'transparent stuff'. Don't really know what it's supposed to do, but we took off and landed OK - so I guess it performed it's function well.
With taking off 1 hour late from a frosty Vancouver, we then landed 1 hour late in Oregon - and the trip is already off track. To my chagrin, after running through large puddles of rain - across

the tarmack - my connecting flight had left without me - without so much as a note being left at the gate: "Sorry we missed you - we should do lunch"... They'll probably never call... ;-)
So here I sit, in the Travellers lounge - sipping free beer, waiting for my now 3:15Pm departure - resulting in a now 8:30PM arrival in Sacramento.
*** time delay while in flight ***
I'm happy to report the the 2nd and 3rd segments of my trip were much less eventful than the 1st. I have, however; come to realize that my body type was not considered when developing the majority of airplane seating designs. Not being able to stand up in the plane (boarding, de-planing), and having 'cozy' seating arrangements seem to be the standard. This to be discussed more in later posts - as I hope to collect some examples.
No comments:
Post a Comment