Sunday, December 9, 2007

It's All in the Numbers

After finishing teaching a course in Roseville, California - I hopped into my little rental car, and headed furiously for the Sacramento airport. It was now 4:15PM, and my flight left at 5:25PM to Vancouver. An added complexity was that I had volunteered to take one of my students to the airport with me, although I needed to drop them off at their Terminal (different than mine) before returning my rental car - and taking the shuttle bus to my Terminal. Why did I agree to this??



Thankfully having a passenger allowed us to drive in the commuter lane most of the way to the aiport. Very thankful that we did not encounter any police cars (we would have been in ALOT of trouble - enough said), we had turned a typical 45min drive into a 25min 'Cannonball Run'. Once my student was dropped off, I eventually dropped off my rental car - with a full hour to spare. Usually enough time to get checked in, through security, and grab a snack before taking off...



My United Airlines flight was to leave from Terminal 2, so I sat quietly on the shuttle bus until arriving at Terminal 2 - watching the precious minutes pass by. Hopping off of the bus with my luggage, I rushed to the United counter to check in. 'I am taking the "5:25pm to Vancouver"' I said. Oh, replied the counter lady. Flight # 8345 is hosted by Air Canada Jazz, and leaves from Terminal 1.... I bit my lip. She continued - United flights that start with the number '8' are all Air Canada Flights, even though on your confirmation information, it says United...

How was I as a regular airline traveller supposed to know this little tidbit of information? So now I was at the wrong airline, at the wrong terminal, and now with only 40mins until my flight was to take off. I foolishly asked "Is there a direct shuttle from this Terminal to Terminal 1?". I should have expected the reply 'No sir, the fastest way it to walk'.



Looking back at this situation now, I vaguely recall her saying - "You stupid fool, you're at the wrong terminal. Why can't you civilians figure out our internal coding system for flights, and stop making the same damned mistakes? Oh well, we're now going to make you RUN to the other Terminal - with all of your bags in tow..." Thanks for trying to fly United!



In the end, I did run to the other terminal with my rolley bags bouncing behind me - and the United Airlines people pressing their faces to the window of Terminal 2, laughing at me (I am sure). Once I did arrive at Terminal 1, all was well. The check in and security processes flowed even more smoothly than expected.

With only 10mins until my flight was to take off, I arrived at my gate - to find that the flight had been delayed by 45mins. It was time to rest my Terminal running feet, and grab something to eat.

Damn those mysterious flight numbers. Who knew that the codes actually meant something??

No comments: